1. Why should I consider dental implants?
Missing teeth can negatively impact your overall quality of life. Many people have difficulty speaking clearly and chewing properly after losing their natural teeth, and pain often accompanies eating. Missing teeth also detract from the attractiveness of a person’s smile, leading to lower self confidence.
2. Why should I choose dental implants over other treatments like dentures or fixed bridges?
Implants offer a number of advantages over other treatments used for replacing missing teeth, including:
- Look and act like your natural teeth. Because dental implants are surgically inserted into your gum tissue, they are much stronger and more secure than a removable device like dentures, which can slide around in your mouth, since they are not affixed to anything.
- Preserve jaw bone. Dental implants are made from titanium, which is naturally compatible with the body. This congruency enables the implant to fuse with the jaw bone and stimulate it in the same manner as natural teeth, thus preserving the bone and preventing deterioration.
3. Is dental implant surgery painful?
Dr. Richardson will administer a local anesthetic before the surgery begins and throughout the procedure, so you should not feel any pain during treatment. She will likely prescribe pain medication to mitigate any discomfort you might feel after the procedure is over.
4. How soon after the procedure can I resume my normal daily activities?
Most patients are able to return to work the day following the dental implant procedure.
5. Can any dental professional perform this procedure?
Many periodontal issues can be managed by a general dentist, but periodontists are specially trained in the placement of dental implants and periodontal disease. Their education includes three additional years after dental school, so it may be advisable to consult with a periodontist, particularly if your periodontal disease is moderate or severe. If you reside in the Centennial, Colorado area, you can call Denver Periodontics & Implant Dentistry to schedule an appointment with Dr. Heather Richardson.